DDTC Championship Show 2009

Nantwich Civic Hall, 12th July 2009.  Judge: Mrs Deidre McLeod (Healaval).

"I thank all exhibitors for the way that they accepted my decisions and thoroughly enjoyed my opportunity to go over their dogs.   I bought my first Dandie at this show thirty one years ago and, for the first time, feel I can make a few comments about how the breed has changed over these years.  Temperament is now excellent, movement generally is now free striding and true and, along with these, standards of presentation have lifted our breed into a place where the Dandies sent forward to the group regularly make the cut and often achieve a placing.  Perhaps, with the profuse furnishings often seen, the jacket has suffered but there were some excellent coats in the younger classes and it is to be hoped that that these would come to infuse our breed once more.  The only miss was the tricolour of the pepper Dandie that lifts its appearance with the tan markings on the legs that give it a flash of colour as it moves.  It was there in one Dandie and I would like so much to see it back in the breed.  After reading through the results and writing these notes I have to be impressed by the powerful effect the US and Canadian imports are having on the breed."

Dog CC & BIS

Reserve Dog CC

Bitch CC & RBIS

Reserve Bitch CC

Best Puppy

Deacon's Ch./Am Ch. Pennywise Burning Ambition for Cassencarrie

Hulme's Vistca Vian of Hendell

Shore's Ch. Swanwillow Savannah

France's Torbrae Daisy Dreamin'

Tinsley's Cloverwood Lemon Drizzle

Minor Puppy Dog

1st: Jacka-Slater's Cassencarrie Robbie Burns

A nicely proportioned lad with a good Jacket and nice colour,  good angulation and moved out well for one so young and at his  first show.

Junior Dog

1st: Culverhouse's Cassencarrie Gandalf at Lykath

Good mustard jacket, good shoulder and tight front, well proportioned head and strong jaw.

2nd: Hansford's Cassencarrie Bonnie Lad

Longer foreface and good dentition, strong one but rather short of coat, needs to tighten in front.

Yearling Dog 1st: Culverhouse's Cassencarrie Gandalf at Lykath

Novice Dog 1st: Jacka-Slater's Cassencarrie Robbie Burns
2nd: Culverhouse's Cassencarrie Gandalf at Lykath
3rd: Ward's Abby's Pride And Joy

Graduate Dog

1st: Brain's Avonview Bein Bhreac

Strong masculine dog with good head and jaw, has a good outline which he holds well on the move.

Postgraduate Dog

1st: Tinsley & Macbeth's Hendell Tom Smart at Cloverwood

A well named dog well constructed with flowing lines and good, happy  movement.  Excellent coat and colour and held his shape well in stance and on the move.  His time will undoubtedly come.

2nd: Kelly's Swanwillow Jackmanii

Another well constructed dog with good colour and flowing lines which he held well on the move.

Limit Dog

1st: Hulme's Vistca Vian of Hendell

A light mustard dog, not so often seen now, with a nicely textured jacket and good furnishings, flowing lines when free standing that stayed with him on the move when he went soundly and steadily and in tune with his handler.  Strong masculine head and sound front.  RCC.

2nd: Carter's Cassencarrie James Blonde

Another nice dog with a good coat texture and strong skull.  Typical dog from this kennel and I now see why in my notes the same remarks apply to both dogs who it transpires, share the same Canadian sire.

3rd: Smethurst's Dawsholm Dapper Davoc
Res: France's Torbrae Dance 'n' Dazzle
VHC: Brain's Avonview Bein Bhreac

Open Dog

1st: Deacon's Ch./Am Ch. Pennywise Burning Ambition for Cassencarrie

A free striding, long and low dog with good colouring and coat texture, good flowing shape held on the move when he strides out well.  Good waterproof type of jacket which I note he is passing on to his offspring.  Nice head with good eye and thin ears.  Went on to take the DCC then on to take BIS.

2nd: Bannister's Ch. Banburg Alfresco

A slightly larger dog who moves with great dignity.  Excellent head with a strong skull and jaw good colour and coat.  Good lines and strong head with profuse furnishings.  I’m sure these two dogs, both young, will go on to compete in future, undoubtedly changing places many times.

3rd: Cadwallader's Bettymac Sun Samba
Res: Corless 's Dengold Enterprise
VHC: Ward's Abby's Pride And Joy

Veteran Dog

1st: Mannia's Finloren The Lion In Winter at Kirskill

An almost nine year old gentleman of great dignity clearly enjoying his day out.  Good strong coat and a typical Dandie, taking things in his own time and going on to BV.

Veteran Bitch

1st: Hulme's Hendell Evening Star

An attractive pale coloured bitch with a coat of the traditional length and texture and a very gentle outlook.  Moving happily and true although a little awed by the situation.

2nd: Eardley's Ch. Blue Rhapsody at Sherex

An old lady we haven’t seen for sometime  and clearly so pleased to be here.  A little extra weight spoiled her outline and movement.

3rd: Gibson's Dengold Nerys

Minor Puppy Bitch

1st: Morris's Pennywave Amaryllis

I looked at my notes on these two bitches and discovered I had written a critique followed by the note ‘same remarks apply’ and I now find they are again sired by the same dog.  Both have nice quality jackets and well proportioned heads, both moved well and have nice flowing lines and body proportions with neat fronts and separating them was well nigh impossible so that I had to take into account that one was almost three months older than the other and  I went with that little bit of maturity but I am sure that there will be more encounters ahead for these two.

2nd: Deacon's Cassencarrie Burning Issue

Puppy Bitch

1st: Tinsley's Cloverwood Lemon Drizzle

A very sweet and fussy little bitch with a good head and shape, coat and furnishings.  Moving she kept her flowing lines and her tail wagged happily throughout.  With her greater maturity she went on to take BP.

Junior Bitch

1st: Tinsley's Cloverwood Razzberry Ice

Yet another nice youngster with a good head and nice reach of neck flowing into an attractive outline carried well on the move.  Attractive coat colour and well presented.

2nd: Brookes's Berdinbrook Pandora

A less mature bitch and at this time a little short of coat which still needs to clear.  Was unfortunate to meet 1 at this stage and is going to need time to finish and come together.

3rd: Sheppard & Hodson's Dandielove Golden Sunshine
Res: Ward's Dandielove Early Dawn

Yearling Bitch

1st: Sheppard & Hodson's Dandielove Golden Sunshine

A good coat and well defined head, good jaw and bite but both she and her handler suffered from first time nerves which were to decrease as the show went on when her movement and confidence improved.

2nd: Ward's Dandielove Early Dawn

Another of a similar type and again a note about same remarks only to find now they are litter sisters.  Again confidence improved as she became used to their surroundings.

Novice Bitch

1st: Hulme's Hendell Fine Feathers

A quiet bitch perhaps a little awed by the surroundings but has a very nice head with a sad eye and a sweet expression, good mustard jacket and flowing lines moving steadily and true.

2nd: Weaving's Dengold McArthy's Pride

A smaller and busy bustling type of bitch with a good pepper colour and a slightly softer coat.

3rd: Ward's Dandielove Early Dawn
Res: Sheppard & Hodson's Mishahda Golden Rhapsody

Graduate Bitch

1st: Motler's Wazzly Athena

A mustard  bitch with good jacket texture, well domed head and good ear placement.  Still needs time to mature, moved happily.

2nd: Ward's Dandielove Early Dawn

Between stages and needs to settle to show her shape but moved steadily.

3rd: Sheppard & Hodson's Mishahda Golden Rhapsody

Postgraduate Bitch

1st: Hissey's Schalulleke Dream Maker of Hellchuck

Smaller of the two presented with good coat of correct texture and nice furnishing, moved well but her shape was spoiled by the extra weight she was carrying.

2nd: Sheppard & Hodson's Mishahda Golden Rhapsody

Slightly larger  but non the less well proportioned bitch.  Not much to draw between them but I just preferred the all over finish on one.

Limit Bitch

1st: France's Torbrae Daisy Dreamin'

This bitch has settled considerably since I last saw her in  the ring and reaped the reward.  She has a good head, ear placement and a strong muzzle.  A nice neck flowing into clean lines which she held while moving.  A profuse topknot and a good jacket texture took her to RBB.

2nd: Gilbert's Cassencarrie Golden Rule of Dorvale

A close thing between the two and another with a good head, eye and mouth with fine ears and good flowing lines but movement not quite as fluid at this time.

3rd: Bromley's Mishahda Tempting Touch
Res: Heywood's Schalulleke Clara Jones
VHC: Brookes's Dengold Cutty Sark of Berdinbrook
Gibson's Dengold Nerys
Smith's Somercloud Starprize at Glendandy

Open Bitch

1st: Shore's Ch. Swanwillow Savannah

There’s not a great deal more that can be written about this bitch, she has so often made the cut in groups and has also been placed there.  Sligtly larger she is non the less built in proportion, a very calm and collected show girl with great presence and a very typical Dandie working in tune with her handler.  BCC, BOS and RBIS.

2nd: Deacon's Ch. Cassencarrie Habit Forming

Unlucky to meet 1 in such form but was flagging a come hither tail,  other  than  that the decision was a very close one, especially when she has a proper tricolour coat with those tan furnishings I have so often lamented.  Two very worthy champions.

3rd: Mannia's Ch. Wazzly Persephone at Kirskill
Res: Corless's Hendell Cassiopeia at Dengold
VHC: Ward's Dandielove Early Dawn

Brood Bitch 1st: Gibson's Dengold Nerys

Brace 1st: Mannia's
2nd: Ward's
3rd: Sheppard & Hodson's

Team 1st: Sheppard & Hodson's

The DDTC Championship Show was kindly sponsored by...

For further information about Organipets contact Liz Nuttall:

Tel: 0845 388 0935 Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Web: www.organipets.co.uk