DDTC Championship Show

Nantwich Civic Hall, 10th July 2011.  Judge: Mr Paul Keevil (Yazga).

"I am always genuinely surprised when I get a judging invitation as I never actively court judging appointments and so it was with the DDTC. Feeling unable to accept what is probably one of the top three most prestigious appointments in the breed the first time I was invited, I naturally thought that would be the end of it. It came as a pleasant surprise to be asked again and I wish to thank the committee (as they say in business) for keeping my name on file, for a later date. Thanks also to those who entered dogs under me, which according to the catalogue totaled 62. This was without a doubt the most challenging appointment I have ever completed and therefore I found it to be the most rewarding. There was quite a divergence in type, which always leads to the age old dilemma of 'my type – your type – breed type'. There should however only be one type – but the question always remains – which type is that?"

Note: Swanwillow Signature was originally listed as Best Puppy, but was later disqualified from the Yearling Bitch class as she was only ten months old.

Dog CC

Reserve Dog CC

Bitch CC & BIS

Reserve Bitch CC

Best Puppy

Skitt & Jones's Vistca Vincent

Carter's Ch. Cassencarrie James Blonde

Tinsley's Cloverwood Dozen Roses

Heywood's Cloverwood Day By Day at Schalulleke

Shore's Swanwillow Clarion Call

Minor Puppy Dog

1st: Tinsley's Cloverwood Unsung Hero

One day over 6 months old and a bit overawed by it all. Good for size, but it would be unfair to draw any conclusions from today as I suspect his owner only wanted to use the day as a learning experience for him.

Puppy Dog

1st: Shore's Swanwillow Clarion Call

9 month old mustard already with an amazing top knot on top of a good shaped head. Correct bite, lovely padded front feet, good shape and very self assured, needs to firm up behind and does not need to grow on. BDP.

2nd: Smith's Glendandy Star Maker

Another up to size, long dog, top knot needs to clear and a little unsure of himself today.

3rd: Lowndes's Glendandy Star Catcher

Junior Dog

1st: Tinsley's Cloverwood Royal George

Nice correct sized mustard with a beautiful coat and lovely top knot, good body length with correct tail set, needs to gain in confidence and firm up on the move but overall a most pleasing Dandie.

2nd: Bromley's Mishahda Volcanic Storm

Pepper, different type to 1. Good jacket, but a little too long in the leg for me, which probably contributed to his lovely flowing movement.

Yearling Dog

1st: Stone's Ludlay Lord Of The Isles

Beautifully coated mustard, pleasing head shape, correct mouth, good depth of chest, I would prefer a little more length of neck and more drive from behind.

Postgraduate Dog

1st: Sleight's Cassencarrie Bobby Vee

Mustard dog, well up to size, well bodied with correct top line on the move, nice big teeth, sent in correct mouth with powerful jaw within a good skull.

2nd: Miller's Puddockswell Moon Shadow at Dryfevalley

Smaller dogs than 1, lovely pepper coat, not the strongest of outlines and not the rear drive of 1.

Limit Dog

A very challenging class to judge as there were some nice dogs of different type all with many points to like.

1st: Deacon's Carac Most Definitely Cassencarrie

Long, low mustard with lovely well muscled neck and head with great expression, rich colour and silky topknot with good round dark eye, well presented with good shoulder placement and well muscled hindquarters giving strong, flowing movement.

2nd: Hunter's Etsill Scapa Flow

Correct sized pepper who had typical and correct Dandie movement, preferred the neck and head of my winner, but a very nice typical unexaggerated dog.

3rd: Shore's Swanwillow Sea Captain
Res: Hansford's Cassencarrie Bonnie Lad
VHC: Smethurst's Dawsholm Dapper Davoc

Open Dog

1st: Skitt & Jones's Vistca Vincent

One of the best outlines of the day good ribs with strong head and neck, dark eye, clean shoulders well laidback and solid mover, I was pleased to award him his 3rd CC.

2nd: Carter's Ch. Cassencarrie James Blonde

A lovely mustard dog that there is a lot to like about, such as skull and mouth, balanced body shape bit short of mustard coat today and a bit taller than I like, covered the ground well. RDCC.

3rd: Cox-Purcell's IreCh. Puddockswell Grey Granite for Daiszana

Res: Karlsson's Se/Slo Ch. Fairmac Night Pride

Veteran Dog

1st: Mannia's Finloren The Lion In Winter at Kirskill

Mustard dog approaching 11 years and in fit and healthy condition, excellent temperament, could teach the youngsters a thing or two with show attitude, obviously enjoying his day.

Veteran Bitch

1st: Mannia's Ch. Wazzly Persephone at Kirskill

7 year old with one of the best pepper coats of the day both in colour and texture. Belying her years strode out with purpose, I wish more people would show their veterans as it is a sadly much under rated class.

Minor Puppy Bitch

1st: Tinsley's Cloverwood Sparkling Blue

7 month old pepper, which I really liked, lovely tight feet and correct eye. Unbelievably, one of the best movers of the day. Naturally with much development still to come, will have a beautiful coat when the top knot clears and I think will be correct for size too. One to watch I predict.

Puppy Bitch

1st: Shore's Swanwillow She's Hot

Another promising lady with a good coat, not over presented. Good body length, front, shape, topline and tailset, attractive head with dark eye and good stop. Very mature for age.

Junior Bitch

1st: Brookes's Berdinbrook Ecco

Quite a nice little lady, let down by her presentation, but underneath she was actually quite nice, moved soundly with good mouth, dark eye and tight feet.

2nd: Sleight's Cassencarrie Madelaina

Larger mustard, with a really lovely coat which went right up the back of her neck then right back down to the furnishings, unlike some exhibits. Needs to tighten in rear movement, but good front.

Yearling Bitch

1st: Deacon's Swanwillow Signature

I was initially a bit concerned with the amount of black in this mustards coat until I learned that this pretty bitch was only 10 months old. The coat was rich with good texture. Another promising youngster with wonderful front, good shoulder and rear angulation. Nice head and expression, dark eye and good mouth.

Novice Bitch

1st: Ray's Dentgate Sweet Symphony

A rather nice Mustard, who sadly was not made the best of today. Faultless temperament, lovely coat fantastic top knot, tight shoulders, good angulations, nice outline.

Graduate Bitch

1st: Bedford's Etsill Greenvoe

This young handler always brings a smile to my face and actually I was quite impressed with her Dandie too. Long body and a good outline with nice small ears on good head. Mustard which moved out well for her young handler.

2nd: Hayes's Cloverwood Natural Blonde at Brandeezi

Not the most pleasing of outlines today, being a bit short in body, but moved OK with a good coat and a nice head.

Postgraduate Bitch

1st: Heywood's Cloverwood Day By Day at Schalulleke

If I could have taken just one Dandie home from the show it would have been this lovely little Pepper lady, who was just out of Junior. Long body with correct topline, very feminine with lovely head and correct mouth. Superb coat of correct texture, colour and length. Moved straight and true.

2nd: Bedford's Etsill Greenvoe

3rd: Marshall's Deegandan Lavender of Dun Eidean

Res: Bell's Kirkhalin Mystic Prudence

Limit Bitch

1st: Hunter's Etsill Inganess Bay

Nice small Pepper, in excellent coat, with good ribbing, front and skull. Good outline, moved well behind, holding her correct topline on the move.

2nd: Tinsley's Cloverwood Sizzling Gold

Yet another lovely mustard bitch, who played up her handler today. Lovely shape, good outline, lovely head and eye, correct mouth, beautiful colour. Perhaps could muscle up a little.

3rd: Shore's Swanwillow Seabreeze
Res: Booth's Cloverwood Candlelight
VHC: Heywood's Schalulleke Clara Jones
Motler's Wazzly Athena
Walkley's Hendell Angel Of The North over Churchoak

Open Bitch

1st: Tinsley's Cloverwood Dozen Roses

A top quality, beautifully balanced feminine and correct sized mustard bitch. Textbook outline, which she held on the move. Beautiful head and expression with dark eye, framed by a perfect top knot. Coat rich in colour and correct texture. I held my breath when she moved, but she just did not disappoint in any way. This bitch had everything and nothing was overdone. A well deserved BIS.

2nd: Russell's Ch./AusCh. Jollygaze Hopeless Romantic for Hawkesmill

A completely different type of Dandie, but still a pepper of great quality. Lovely shaped long and weasel body, dark round eyes within a good domed head, good length of neck and well placed shoulders, good depth to chest. Really nice pepper colouring and lovely texture to the coat. Rear legs were for me a little on the long side, but there was no denying that she moved with great drive. There was a lot to like about her, but then today I felt the bitches were really strong.